Saturday, November 6, 2010

Abraham Lincoln's Speech on Dred Scott Decision(1857)- Equality between Whites and Blacks

What really stood out to me in Lincoln's speech about the Dred Scott decision was one thing he talks about about African Americans in terms of equality. He says, " because I do not want a black women for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. I need not have her for either,...In some respects she certainly is not my equal; but in her natural right to eat the bread she earns...she is my equal, and the equal of all others"(264). I think what Lincoln means by this is that blacks are equal to whites only in political wise, and unequal when comes to social equality. He believes that whites and blacks she never be mixed to gether as far as marrying one another, and having children with one another. Lincoln finds amalgamation between these two races "disgusting". I disagee with him on amalgamy, I find that people should be able to mix their race with others if they please without any disgust with the act of doing so. Its beautiful and perfectly natural.

1 comment:

  1. Right this is a very old myth that is based on zero scientific evidence, in fact studies show interracial children are usually the most attractive people. Unfortunately Lincoln didn't get it, but even cool guys like Muhammad Ali say things like this still

    ReplyDelete